Jun 17, 2024  
2022-2023 Catalog & Student Handbook 
2022-2023 Catalog & Student Handbook [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Pay for College and Textbooks

Tuition and Fees

Tuition Rates and Fees

Tuition rates are established by the State Board for Community Colleges and are subject to change. Current tuition rates can be obtained on the Paying for Brightpoint page of the college website. 

The e-Rate is applicable to designated distance-learning courses delivered entirely over the Internet. Virginia residents are exempt from the $21.00 per credit hour capital fee. The contract rate is for students who do not qualify for in-state tuition rates and are enrolled in classes provided in a contract between their employers and Brightpoint Community College where the employer agrees to pay the students’ tuition directly to the college. Student fees are approved by the Brightpoint Community College Board and are subject to change.  

During general registration, all tuition and fees are due by the Payment Deadline dates listed on the college website under Paying for Brightpoint. Tuition and fees may be paid by cash, money order, personal check, MasterCard or Visa. If a student’s check is returned to the college for any reason, the student will be charged a $35.00 returned check fee in addition to the amount of the returned check. The student has ten days from the date of notice in which to redeem the check and pay both the amount of the check and the returned check fee. After that, the returned check fee will increase to $50.00, and the student will be withdrawn from his/her classes. This obligation must be paid with cash, cashier’s check, debit card or credit card (MasterCard or Visa). Failure to fulfill this financial obligation within the specified time shall result in the student being withdrawn from Brightpoint Community College and being referred to a collection agency and to the Commonwealth of Virginia’s Debt-Setoff Program.  

Eligibility and Application Procedure for In-State Tuition

Generally, to be eligible for in-state tuition rates, the student must have been legally domiciled in Virginia for a period of at least one full year prior to the planned semester of enrollment. Domicile is a technical legal term that means more than simple “residency” in Virginia. An individual seeking eligibility for in-state tuition must demonstrate the intention of remaining in Virginia indefinitely. Demonstration of intent is usually accomplished through objective evidence such as a Virginia driver’s license, voter’s registration, and payment of Virginia income taxes, although additional forms of documentation may be required. Students requesting a change of domicile status must furnish supporting documentation and secure approval by no later than the first day of their first semester of enrollment. Requests for a change of domicile presented after the established deadline will be considered for the subsequent semester.  

Active-duty military members who reside in VA may receive in-state tuition rates.  Spouses and dependents of active-duty military members may receive in-state tuition rates as long as the military member has been assigned to a permanent duty station in VA and resides in VA. In order to secure the benefit, a copy of current permanent orders, valid military dependent ID and proof of address must be presented prior to the start of the first semester of enrollment. The one-year residency provision is waived in this instance and continued eligibility for the in-state benefit is guaranteed provided that the student maintains continuous enrollment.  

Veterans who reside in VA may receive in-state tuition rates.  Spouses and dependents of veterans may receive in-state tuition rates only if the veteran has established domicile in VA.  Contact the Office of Admissions and Records at admissionsandrecords@brightpoint.edu for more information.  

For information about qualifying for in-state-tuition, look under Section 702 of the Veterans Choice Act.  


A student under the age of 24 generally assumes the domiciliary status of the parent(s) unless one of the following criteria is met. The student:

  • Is age 24 before the first day of classes;
  • Is a veteran of the U.S. armed forces;
  • Holds a bachelor’s degree or higher;
  • Is married;
  • Is orphaned;
  • Is a ward of the court;
  • Has legal dependents other than a spouse; or
  • Can present clear and convincing evidence that he or she is self-sufficient.

The Admissions and Records Office is responsible for making an initial determination of eligibility for in-state tuition rates based on information provided by the student on the application form. Eligibility is determined by using State Council of Higher Education guidelines pertaining to Section 23.7-4 of the Code of Virginia.

Applicants who are denied in-state tuition have the right of appeal according to the following procedures:

  • Intermediate Level Review: Appeals must be submitted in writing to the Admissions and Records office at least two weeks prior to the date of the requested entitlement (the first day of classes of the semester in question). The director of Admissions and Records/registrar will review such appeals and issue decisions within five days or prior to the first day of classes. Appeals received less than two weeks prior to the date of requested entitlement will not be considered until after the subsequent add/drop period. Students may elect to register and pay out-of-state tuition charges pending the resolution of their appeals.
  • Final Administrative Review: Appeals of the intermediate level review must be submitted in writing to the Office of the Associate Vice President (AVP) of Student Success. Such appeals must be submitted no later than five business days after the receipt of intermediate level decisions. The AVP of Student Success will review such appeals and forward the decisions to students within ten business days of the receipt in accordance with Part VII, Section 8 VAC 40-120-270, Chapter 120, Guidelines for Determining Domicile and Eligibility for In- State Tuition Rates.

Changing Tuition Eligibility Status from Out-of-State to In-State

An out-of-state student who has resided for one full year in Virginia may request a change of domicile status through the Admissions and Records Office at admissionsandrecords@brightpoint.edu. Supporting documentation that presents clear evidence of domiciliary intent, such as a Virginia driver’s license, voter’s registration and payment of Virginia income taxes, must be presented by no later than the first day of the next semester of enrollment. Students who request a change of domicile and present documentation beyond the first day of class will be considered for the subsequent semester. The burden is assumed by the applicant to provide as much information and documentation as appropriate to demonstrate intent.

In the event that a student’s circumstances change after a semester has begun, the student’s tuition status may be eligible for reclassification. This reclassification shall be effective for the next academic term following the date of the application for reclassification. Students should follow the institution’s domicile appeal policy.

How to Pay Tuition and Fees

How to Pay

Pay in person at the Business Office via check, cash, MasterCard or Visa, or pay online using a credit card through myBrightpoint (convenience fees are applicable). 

All Visa and MasterCard payments can be made online via the credit/debit card processing E-Pay system. E-Pay is only accessible through the Student Center in the Student Information System in myBrightpoint.  

Brightpoint offers a monthly tuition payment plan. For a non-refundable fee, your tuition and fees payments are automatically deducted from your checking or savings account or charged to your credit card. See the Payment Plan page on the college website for details.  

If you intend to receive financial aid, to guarantee your enrollment you must have completed the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and have received your Award Notification via the SIS Message Center from the Financial Aid Office. If you have not completed the process, you must be prepared to pay your tuition and fees in full by the deadlines outlined above. If your financial aid award does not cover your total charges, you will be responsible for paying the balance due by the deadlines above.  

If your employer is paying for your classes, you must submit the employer’s purchase order or written authorization along with a contract agreement form signed by the employer. The contract agreement form can be obtained from the Business Office. The contract will solidify the agreement of your employer to be billed by the college for your tuition and fees. The purchase order, authorization, and contract must be received by the appropriate deadline above.  

General Refund Information

A full refund of tuition is authorized for credit hours of course(s) dropped during the first 15 percent of the session. Students who drop themselves from a course, online or through a campus office, on or prior to the drop date for that course will receive a refund. Students who never attend a class or have a last date of attendance for the course prior to the drop date will be administratively removed from the course, and NO REFUND will be given. Students are responsible for dropping courses by posted deadlines. If a student registers for a course that is cancelled by the college and does not elect to enter an alternate course, the student will receive a refund. Students who withdraw from classes after the drop date will not receive a refund. Students on financial aid and/or veteran’s benefits are strongly encouraged to discuss the financial impacts of dropping or withdrawing from classes with the appropriate advisor before doing so.  

Section 4.15 Tuition Refund Policy

1.1.1 Purpose

To establish procedures for handling college tuition refund requests and exceptions to policy.

1.1.2 Procedure

Virginia Community College Policy 4.3.2 states that students are eligible for refunds for those credit hours dropped during the add/drop period. After the add/drop period has passed, there shall be no refunds, except as provided in subsections (Exceptional Cases), (Military Service), and (Refunds for Certain Federal Student Financial Aid Recipients).

Brightpoint Community College will consider requests for tuition refunds due to a highly unusual emergency or extenuating circumstance. Such extraordinary circumstances are usually defined as (1) administrative error, (2) documented major medical emergency, extreme financial hardship, or death of an immediate family member, or (3) national emergency.

Requests for exceptions to the refund deadline will be considered by the Dean of Students or Associate Dean of Students (as the president’s designees) upon the students’ completion of the college’s Tuition Refund Application.

If a tuition refund is approved by the Dean of Students or Associate Dean of Students, the student will be assigned a grade of ‘W’ in the refunded course(s). Requests must be made during the semester in question or the immediate subsequent semester. No requests will be considered after this time. If the student is a financial aid recipient, he or she should consult the Financial Aid Office to understand any ramifications.

Refunds, Credits, and Reinstatement as a Result of Military Service

  1. Students in the uniformed services (active duty Armed Forces, including the National Guard or Reserve) who are ordered to active duty (for reservists and National Guard) or deployed (active military) as described in the Code of Virginia, Section 23-9.6:2 and the State Council’s Virginia Tuition Relief, Refund, and Reinstatement Guidelines, may request the following accommodations and request an exception per the college’s Tuition Refund Application:
  2. Tuition and Required Fees
    Students may request to be withdrawn from the college after the census date. The student may request to be administratively withdrawn with a refund and assigned a grade of “W”. Students receiving financial aid, tuition assistance and/or Veterans Administration benefits should confer with the Military and Veterans Education Office before withdrawing. The Military and Veterans Education Office will notify the Financial Aid Office and the Business Office when students are processed according to this policy so that the college can ensure that the students are forgiven any potential debts owed to the college. Requests for textbook returns should be submitted to the college Bookstore. The college will request that the Bookstore refund any expenses paid by the students who meet the eligibility requirements of this policy.
  3. Incompletes and Special Final Examinations
    Students who have completed a significant portion of their current course work should have the opportunity to receive and may request grades of incomplete (“I”) until released from active duty (for reservists and National Guard) or return from deployment (for active military personnel). All course requirements shall be completed within one year from the date of release from active duty or return from deployment. Students also may be given the option of taking their final examinations prior to regularly scheduled times as an exception to VCCS policy 5.6.1 in accordance with the Virginia Tuition Relief, Refund, and Reinstatement Guidelines.       
  4. Reinstatement
    Students who are called to active duty or are deployed, who are otherwise academically eligible, will be reinstated in the same programs of study without having to re-apply for admission if they return to Brightpoint Community College after a cumulative absence of not more than five years so long as the student provides notice of intent to return to the institution not later than three years after the completion of the period of service.
  5. Dissemination of Information
    Questions and information regarding the requirements of the Code of Virginia, Section 23-9.6:2, and the Virginia Tuition Relief, Refund, and Reinstatement Guidelines should be referred to the Military and Veterans Education Office.

Textbooks and Course Materials

Several cost-saving programs and products are listed below, to help guide you in your search for course materials. Textbook information can be found on the Bookstore page on the college website and on course pages found under Class Schedule.  

  • Purchase New or Used Textbooks  
    Traditional textbooks continue to be replaced by digital courseware products that integrate with the Learning Management System. Some courses requiring a digital courseware product might also have a supplemental physical copy. The bookstore strives to offer multiple formats of both new and used textbooks when available.  

  • Rent Textbooks  
    Some physical textbooks are available to rent for a semester. Renting textbooks can substantially lower college expenses. Students can search the bookstore website to check rental availability. For the full text of the rental agreement, go to the FAQ page on the bookstore website.  

  • Digital Textbooks and/or Ebooks  
    Digital textbooks and/or ebooks are the same editions of a physical textbook and are accessible either as a download or on the internet. Thousands of titles are available in this paperless format at reduced cost in comparison traditional textbooks. If a textbook is available in a digital or ebook format, it will automatically be listed as an alternative on the bookstore website. If a course requires courseware a digital textbook or ebook alone will not meet the course materials requirement. 

  • Access Codes with Courseware 
    An access code is a series of letters and numbers that allows access to a course’s online content, additional study material, and an e-book of the text. Digital courseware materials integrate with the Learning Management System and are available on the first day of class when the instructor opens the course. Some access codes are security protected and printed on cardboard. Cardboard access codes must be physically picked up in-store or shipped to the student. Other access codes are printed on a bookstore receipt or sent via email and include a digital delivery fee. 

  • Vouchers  
    Lab kit or test vouchers contain access codes that must be redeemed through a third-party vendor website. Lab kit vouchers are redeemed for a physical lab kit shipped to the student from the third-party vendor, at no additional standard shipping costs, after the redemption process has been completed. Test vouchers are also redeemed through a third-party vendor website to access a test/exam. 

  • Open Education Resources (OER)  
    Open educational resources are public domain resources available at little or no cost that can be used for teaching, learning, or research. This term can include textbooks, course readings, and other learning content; simulations, games, and other learning applications; syllabi, quizzes, and assessment tools; and virtually any other material that can be used for educational purposes. It is the instructor’s decision whether or not to use OER materials. 

  • Follett ACCESS* 
    For specified courses, Follett ACCESS is a program designed to provide required digital and/or physical course materials at a low cost on the first day of class. Follett ACCESS course material fees are added to the student’s account by the college along with tuition and other fees. Some Follett ACCESS courses have a low-cost loose-leaf copy of the text that can be purchased as an optional supplement to the digital material. 

    *Students using the Chapter 33 (Post 9-11) GI Bill® who have registered in a Follett ACCESS course should be aware the Follett ACCESS course material fee is not covered by the VA.  Payment of Follett Access fees is the student’s responsibility and can be paid via financial aid, out-of-pocket, or with the book stipend received as part of the Post 9-11 benefit. Although this requirement will not prevent access to course materials, failure to pay the required fees will result in a debt to the college for the balance owed. For additional information regarding this requirement, contact the JTCC Military and Veterans Education Office.  

Military and Veterans Education

The Military and Veteran Education Office (M&VEO) assists eligible active duty service members, reservists, veterans and military family members with their applications and reporting requirements necessary for establishing and maintaining Veterans Administration (VA) and Department of Defense (DoD) educational entitlements.

Most programs of education offered at Brightpoint Community College are approved by the Virginia Department of Veterans Services for VA entitlements. Eligible beneficiaries are reminded that only those courses that apply to their approved programs of education may be certified for VA educational entitlements. Students are expected to present their Certificates of Eligibility to M&VEO during their initial visits in order to be certified. Certification requests can be made by submitting an Enrollment Certification Request Form or via the veterans@brightpoint.edu email account immediately after enrollment each semester.

GI Bill® recipients are required to pay tuition in accordance with the college’s tuition payment guidelines with the exception of students using Chapter 33 (Post 9/11) and Chapter 31 (VR&E).  Students using these GI Bill® chapters must provide the appropriate certificate of eligibility, statement of benefits obtained from the Department of Veterans Affairs website, or VA Form 28-1905 to M&VEO staff before enrollment certification can be submitted.

Students using GI Bill® Chapters 31 and 33 will not be restricted from enrollment, assessed late fees or denied access to institutional facilities pending the disbursement of benefit by the VA. This policy does not preclude the payment of tuition and fees that are not covered by the student’s benefit.

Enrollment adjustments that take place after certification, such as course drops, adds, swaps, and withdrawals, must be reported in person or via the veterans@brightpoint.edu email account. Any debt that may be incurred as a result of unreported enrollment adjustments will require payment in accordance with college policy. Eligible veteran students and their dependents, who are granted out-of-state domicile status upon completion of their online applications, should notify a member of the M&VEO in order to receive instructions for a potential change of status. Eligible veteran students are encouraged to consider using the VA Work-Study and the VA Tutorial Assistance programs while attending school as they are valuable resources. The VA will only pay in-state rates for tuition.  

The Virginia State Approving Agency (SAA), is the approving authority of education and training programs for Virginia.  Their office investigates complaints of GI Bill® beneficiaries.  While most complaints should initially follow school grievance policy, if the situation cannot be resolved at the school, the beneficiary should contact the Virginia State Approving Agency via email at saa@dvs.virginia.gov.  

Department of Defense Educational Benefits

Students eligible to receive Tuition Assistance (TA) or My Career Advancement Account (MyCAA) benefits are reminded that only those courses that apply to their approved programs of education can be paid for by TA or MyCAA. Students planning to use Tuition Assistance are expected to present their approval to the M&VEO staff during their initial visit or prior to the first day of classes for the semester. Military family members planning to use MyCAA benefits need to contact the M&VEO to establish an Education & Training Plan for submission to the Department of Defense Spouse Education and Career Opportunities Certification (SECO). This process should be completed not later than one week prior to the beginning of the term. Inquiries and documentation for both programs may be submitted to veterans@brightpoint.edu email account. The DoD will only pay in-state rates for tuition.

Brightpoint Community College limits academic residency for active duty service members to only 25%. This means that an active duty service member can earn a degree by taking as little as one quarter of his/her required courses for a degree program at Brightpoint Community College. Lastly, we award credit for military training and experience as outlined in the ACE Guide and credit for extra institutional learning using one or more nationally-recognized, non-traditional learning tests (CLEP and DSST).

Veterans Choice Act

The following individuals shall be charged a rate of tuition not to exceed the in-state rate for tuition and fees:

  • A Veteran using educational assistance under either chapter 30 (Montgomery G.I. Bill® - Active Duty Program) or chapter 33 (Post-9/11 G.I. Bill®), of title 38, United States Code, who lives in the Commonwealth of Virginia while attending Brightpoint Community College (regardless of his/her formal State of residence).
  • Anyone using transferred Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits (38 U.S.C. § 3319) who lives in the Commonwealth of Virginia while attending the College (regardless of his/her formal state of residence).
  • Anyone using transferred Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits (38 U.S.C. § 3319) who lives in the Commonwealth of Virginia while attending Brightpoint Community College (regardless of his/her formal State of residence) and the transferor is a member of the uniformed service who is serving on active duty.
  • A spouse or child using benefits under the Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship (38 U.S.C. § 3311(b)(9)) who lives in the Commonwealth of Virginia while the College (regardless of his/her formal State of residence).
  • A spouse or child using benefits under the Survivors’ and Dependents’ Education Assistance program (Chapter 35) living in the Commonwealth of Virginia while attending the college (regardless of their formal state of residence) effective for courses, semesters, or terms beginning after March 1, 2019.
  • An individual using educational assistance under Chapter 31, Veteran Readiness and Employment (VR&E) who lives in the Commonwealth of Virginia while attending the College (regardless of his/her formal state of residence) effective for courses, semesters, or terms beginning after March 1, 2019.
  • Anyone described above while he or she remains continuously enrolled (other than during regularly scheduled breaks between courses, semesters, or terms) at the same institution. Therefore, the described person must be enrolled in the college and use educational benefits under Chapters 30,31, 33, or 35 of Title 38, United States Code.

Foundation Scholarships

Every year many Brightpoint students get help paying for college through scholarships from the Brightpoint Community College Foundation. There are a wide variety of merit- and need-based scholarships available. Some are general while others are for specific majors and/or for students who live in a particular locality. 

Scholarships are made possible through the generosity of supporters who share the Foundation’s commitment to helping make college more affordable.

Who can apply?

Current and prospective students at Brightpoint Community College may apply for a Foundation scholarship, even if they do not qualify for federal financial assistance. High school seniors who are considering attending Brightpoint are also encouraged to apply.

To qualify, students must:

  • Submit a completed scholarship application prior to the appropriate deadline.
  • Earn the minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) published each year in the scholarship application guidelines.
  • Be enrolled or plan to enroll at Brightpoint for the academic year. Students must be officially enrolled before scholarship funds will be disbursed. Not enrolled? Visit the Advising Center on either campus.

The Foundation scholarship application deadlines will be made public for each scholarship cycle throughout the academic year and students can apply online at www.brightpoint.edu/scholarships. For questions, call the Foundation office at (804) 594-1476 or email foundation@brightpoint.edu.

Financial Assistance

Brightpoint Community College attempts to ensure that qualified students are not denied an education due to a lack of money. All students are encouraged to apply for financial assistance by submitting the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at www.studentaid.gov. Students are urged to submit their financial aid applications well in advance of their anticipated registration dates. The priority date for applying for financial aid for the fall semester is May 15. The priority date for applying for financial aid for the spring semester is September 15. The priority date for the summer semester is March 15. Students can apply after these dates but must be prepared to pay out-of-pocket for their tuition and fees and be reimbursed if they are eligible for aid after the drop date has passed for their latest starting class of the semester.

Brightpoint uses Messaging via the Student Center in myBrightpoint to communicate with students about financial aid. It is important that students monitor their myBrightpoint account and their Brightpoint email on a regular basis for the most up-to-date information regarding their financial aid. See the Brightpoint Financial Aid page for details. 

Financial Aid

Eligibility for Financial Aid

To qualify for financial aid and to maintain their eligibility, students must:

  1. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA);
  2. Be accepted for admission to Brightpoint Community College as a degree- or certificate-seeking student;
  3. Be enrolled in good standing and maintain satisfactory academic progress;
  4. Be citizens, eligible non-citizens or permanent residents of the United States or its trust territories;
  5. Not be in default on a Federal Stafford Loan, PLUS, SLS or a Perkins Loan;
  6. Not owe an overpayment on financial aid received at any institution of higher learning; and
  7. Have a high school diploma, a GED or the ability to benefit. Students receiving financial aid are responsible for notifying the Admissions and Records office regarding any change in name, address, telephone number or marital status.
  8. Students are also responsible for ensuring the courses they take are part of their program. Financial Aid will not pay for courses that are not in the student’s major.

Non-Credit Financial Aid

As a result of a new program approved by Virginia’s General Assembly, the Community College Workforce Alliance (CCWA) has funding that can help pay for training that supports attainment of industry credentials. If you have limited income but need additional industry credentials to assist you in gaining employment, contact the CCWA at (804)-523-2292 or by email at trainer@ccwa.vccs.edu to inquire about non-credit financial aid.

Student Financial Aid Programs Available

Federal Pell Grant

The Federal Pell Grant is an award for undergraduates only with no prior bachelor’s or professional degree. Eligibility is primarily based on the Expected Family Contribution (EFC) but is also affected by enrollment status. The EFC must be 6206 or less. The max award for the 2022-2023 academic year is $6895, with a minimum of $692.  A minimum of 12 credit hours each semester is necessary to receive full eligibility, with pro-rated awards going to students with less than 12 credits.  

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

FSEOG is for undergraduate Federal Pell Grant recipients with exceptional financial need (i.e., students with the lowest EFCs). Students may receive up to $2,000 a year depending on eligibility and funding level. Priority is given to out-of-state students whose tuition charges are significantly higher.

Federal Work-Study (FWS)

Federal Work-Study is a program that provides part-time employment opportunities to eligible students to help meet the costs of post-secondary education. Based on the results of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), eligible students are awarded an allotment that may be earned through part-time employment in FWS-approved positions either on or off campus. The program is designed to provide students with an opportunity for employment arranged around class schedules.

Commonwealth Grant (COMA)

COMA is a state-funded grant that provides assistance to undergraduate Virginia residents to a maximum of tuition and fees per academic year. A minimum of 6 credit hours is required each semester in order to receive COMA.

Virginia Guaranteed Assistance Program (VGAP)

VGAP awards range from $500 up to tuition, fees and books and are available to undergraduate Virginia residents who graduated from high school with at least a 2.5 grade point average. Students must be enrolled full time with at least a 2.0 cumulative grade point average to maintain eligibility for this grant.

Part-time Tuition Assistance Program (PTAP)

PTAP is a state-funded grant that provides assistance to undergraduate Virginia residents to a maximum of tuition and fees per academic year. A minimum of 1 credit hour and a maximum of 8 credit hours are required each semester in order to receive PTAP.

Virginia Community College System (VCCS) Tuition Grant

The VCCS Tuition Grant is a state-funded grant that provides assistance to undergraduate Virginia residents who demonstrate financial need. Award amounts vary according to funding levels; however, awards will not exceed charges for tuition, fees and books.

G3 Scholarships

G3 is a state grant that provides up to tuition, fees, and an annual book allowance for undergraduate Virginia residents who enroll in stackable credential programs that lead to high demand jobs in targeted industry sectors in Healthcare, Information Technology and Computer Science, Manufacturing and Skilled Trades, Early Childhood Education, and Public Safety.  A minimum of 6 credit hours is required in an eligible program each semester to receive G3.  The grant can only pay for tuition, fees, and a book allowance not already covered by other grant and scholarship aid. 

Federal Direct Loan and PLUS Loan Program

The Federal Direct Loan and PLUS Loan Program enables students and/or parents to borrow directly from the Federal Department of Education. The loan is guaranteed by the federal government. Students may apply online through the Loans page under Financial Aid on the college website.

Virginia War Orphans/Dependents of Firefighters and Police Officers Education Benefits

Sections SB-529 and SB-626 of the Code of Virginia provide for free tuition to attend state-supported institutions of higher education for children of persons killed in the line of duty to the Commonwealth of Virginia or deceased, disabled, imprisoned, or missing in action as a result of any armed conflict after December 6, 1941, involving the U.S. armed forces. Individuals entitled to this benefit may utilize it to pursue any vocational, technical, undergraduate or graduate program of instruction. Generally, programs listed in the academic catalogs of state-supported institutions are acceptable provided they have a clearly defined educational objective. Applications should be submitted at least four months before the expected date of matriculation.

Help Hub

The Help Hub is a one-stop source for information and connection to student support and services. HelpHub representatives serve as Tier I student support. Brightpoint experts are available to get you the answers you need. Contact us with questions about advising, admissions and records, financial aid and student accounts, or for technical support. The Help Hub provides student password support for access to MyBrightpoint and can offer directional support to guide students to services and information in their accounts or on campus. Students may reach out to the HelpHub by texting 804-476-0401, calling 804-796-4000, or emailing helphub@jbrightpoint.edu. Please click here to access the HelpHub website for hours of operation. 

Satisfactory Academic Progress

To receive any federal or state aid, a student must maintain satisfactory academic progress (SAP). The Financial Aid office will evaluate a student’s progress at the time of application and at the end of each semester. Changes of curricula do not necessarily constitute extended time limits for eligibility. Per federal regulation, all enrollments at Brightpoint Community College and all applicable transfer credits will be considered, whether or not aid was awarded or received. The Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy is subject to change. For more detailed information about out SAP Policy, please visit the Financial Aid page on the college website.

The College’s current criteria for satisfactory academic progress are:

  • Students must successfully complete at least 67% of the credit hours they attempt. All courses attempted at Brightpoint Community College and accepted transfer credits will be counted.
  • Students must meet minimum cumulative grade point average requirements based on a progressive scale. Transfer credits are excluded. In order to graduate, a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.0 is required.
Credit Hours Attempted Minimum Required GPA  
1 - 15 1.50  
16 - 30 1.75  
31+ 2.00  
  • Please note that only courses with grades of A, B, C, D and F are included in the GPA evaluation.
  • Students who have attempted a number of credits that total 150% or more of their program requirements have not made satisfactory academic progress. All enrollment periods and acceptable transfer credits are counted, even semesters when aid was not received. Developmental courses are not included in this calculation.

Students may appeal the loss of their aid, in writing, to the Financial Aid office prior to the beginning of each term. Only appeals which document mitigating circumstances will be considered.